The Stage 3 Panel Interviews are set to commence mid-August. Here are my top tips to succeed at this critical stage of the application process.
- Ensure that you have prepared yourself well in advance for the interview by doing your research on the key requirements and responsibilities of a Garda Trainee. One of the best methods of gaining information is talking to serving Gardai to find out what they do. Visit your local Garda station.
- It is also important to research and understand the requirements of training at Templemore.
- Prepare specific behavioural examples that demonstrate how you fulfil each of the competencies. It is useful to use the STAR method when providing examples by describing the Situation, Task, Action and Result. Remember, the aim of the interview is to illustrate your understanding of the Garda role and your capabilities across each of the 5 specific competencies – see https://www.gardaip.com/garda-trainee-interview-tips/.
- Listen carefully, answer clearly and concisely, and ask for clarification if necessary.
- Manage your energy levels. Present yourself in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
- Keep to the point and avoid the temptation to over-elaborate and get into too much detail.
- Maintain eye contact with the interviewers. Body language is important too, sit up straight, don’t fold arms or lay back.
- Avoid talking about any personal problems that are not relevant to the selection criteria.
- Don’t criticise previous employers. The interview is not about their shortcomings, but your suitability for employment as a Garda Trainee.
- Dress appropriately. Business Attire. No compromises.
Back yourself. If you prepare appropriately you will be successful!